The history of Convento di Santa Croce

The Convento was built between the XIII and XIV century and there are many papers and old documents that mention its connection with the Franciscan order as well as the Lateran.

Around the XVII century, the whole building underwent a thorough renovation that makes us infer the state of decay and degradation it had fallen under. It is not known why and when the Church of Santa Croce was ordained or why the ex-Franciscan convent was shut down but it presumably happened around the XIX century.

It is not known why and when the Church of Santa Croce was ordained or why the ex-Franciscan convent was shut down but it presumably happened around the XIX century.

The ex convent has been used as Carabinieri’s barracks for many years, up until a few decades ago. In 1979 the church itself was renovated and transformed into a conference hall.
Refer to A. FABBI: – “Storia dei comuni della Valnerina” (p. 338) – Assisi, 1976. (1)
Refer to L. JACOBILLI: “Vita dei Santi e Beati dell’Umbria” – Foligno, 1661 – Tomo III (p. 393) (2)
Refer to L. WADDING: “Annales Ordiniis Minorum” (1625-1654) (3)